Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Relaxation Time: Living the 5-Star Life on a 3-Star Budget

I have a new lease on life, as of January 1, 2008. On January 1st I decided that I am important in every way. Though I have a busy life and several people who are in my life who require my time, I have often forgotten about the importance of M-E. Well, this year things are different. 2008 is about me and about my peace of mind. To start off on my efforts, I found that one of the best things for relaxation and finding peace is to get away. Not a long vacation, but a quick weekend stay at a nice hotel, bed and breakfast, cabin, etc. It is nice to just step out of life's monotonous activities that constantly remind us that we are living robots going towards the common goal of living life to pay bills, unless we make it to that stage of life where income and savings far surpass expenses.

To get over these monotonies of life, one thing came to mind for me. Why not make a year of it. I decided that every month I would go to a different hotel and just enjoy a day of relaxation and/or pampering. There is a catch to my new hobby. Instead of staying at the typical hotels, I only choose higher end hotels that offer suites and/or some type of luxury accommodation.

January was a busy month for me, so I did not have the opportunity to stay at a hotel. Instead, I took a day off of work and just enjoyed life. February was my stay at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott. I loved my stay at this hotel, and was able to gain points with the Marriott Rewards Program. The hotel offers reasonable rates and impeccable service. I was able to relax and had the option of enjoying the surrounding area.

March brought many surprises to me with my stay at the Ritz-Carlton.This experience was extraordinary. I enjoyed every part of my stay from the bellhop with the top hat to the concierge who handled any immediate needs to the room service. I had the privilege of staying in a suite, and it was beautiful, spacious, and relaxing. The suite was 660 square feet, and reminded me of a small, luxurious apartment. From the minute I walked into the doors of this wonderful, weekend escape, I felt like royalty. I felt like my hard work had finally paid off through my champagne wishes and caviar dreams that I had many times seen on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. The room was filled with toiletries from Bvlgari, and had French doors that separate the parlor and bedroom. There were 2 bathrooms, and a gorgeous view of the city. At night, room service delivered a complimentary fruit basket for a light evening snack.

There was so much about this experience that was wonderful, but I have to challenge you to enjoy such a weekend as I did. That is the only way you will know what the hotel has to offer. Even if for a honeymoon, weekend getaway, spring break vacation or an "I Love Me" day, everyone must take advantage of this wonderful establishment (or one like it in a city near you).

Though the Ritz-Carlton is a pricey hotel, there are ways to have a budget stay there. Hotels have slow periods each month (with the exception of the holiday season and summer). During these slow periods each month, they are able to offer lower rates. Therefore, research and timing are key. The research is time consuming, but it is worth the work.

One tip I will give about visiting 4- and 5-star hotels is to be mindful of tipping. When I entered the Ritz, I did not realize how many people must and must not be tipped. I was, however, able to find a useful guide on Good Housekeeping that could help with planning for the tipping that takes place in these establishments.

Regardless of if is at the a 5-star hotel or 3-star motel, the key is to relax, enjoy life, and enjoy yourself. Find things that interest you. Everyone may not like hotels. A day at the spa could be your quick fix to sobriety from life's woes. Just find your fix, because life is too short not to enjoy it and yourself.

No comments: